Low Carb Cottage Pie
This is a great twist on a traditional recipe. It is lower in carbs and calories than a standard cottage pie but still packs all the flavour. It is high in protein, full of vegetables and all their great vitamins and minerals and also a perfect hot meal for a wintery day.
Write a review
- 300g Premium lean mince
- 1 tin whole tomatoes
- 2 cups carrot, broccoli, mushrooms (combined)
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 Cauliflower head (for topping)
- 40g edam cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- In a non-stick pan fry onion and garlic, once lightly cooked add mince. Drain excess oil. Add tinned tomatoes and mixed herbs. Add mixed vegetables. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until all the ingredients until the mince and the vegetables are cooked through.
- Pour the mixture into a medium baking dish and set aside.
- Chop up one head of cauliflower and boil in a pot with 6 cups of water until soft. Remove from the heat, drain the water and mash the cauliflower with a potato masher.
- Place the mashed cauliflower over the top of the mince mixture and sprinkle with grated edam cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 160C for 30 minutes.
Nutritional breakdown (per serve)
- Energy: 312 cals / 1280kj
- Protein: 31.5g
- Fat: 9.2g
- -Saturated 4.9g
- -Polyunsaturated 0.6g
- -monounsaturated 3.2g
- Carbohydrate: 21.7g
- - Dietary Fibre: 6.5g
Inspired Health http://inspiredhealth.co.nz/