Gluten-free Gingerbread Men
I love making these - they're delicious and crunchy and made with gluten-free flours. One useful "ingredient" I use is my kids to help me, but this is not a required ingredient! At least it makes it more fun! Oh, and a crazy mess! Follow me on instagram @thewriterunner and I blog too on www.inspiredhealth.co.nz - Rachel Grunwell
- 3 tablespoons of golden syrup
- ½ a cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of mixed spice and cinnamon
- 1.5 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon of water.
- 50g of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 200g of sifted gluten-free flour (I use 2 tsp Xanthum gum, two parts brown rice flour and one part potato flour)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- Put golden syrup in a pan, along with sugar, mixed spice, cinnamon, ground ginger and water.
- Heat until sugar dissolves and then melt butter in it.
- Take the pan off the element and add baking soda (it goes a little frothy).
- In another bowl, put sifted gluten-free flour, baking powder and then add the heated ingredients from the pan and mix until a workable dough. Add more flour until you get a dough you can roll out and easily put shapes in this. I use a spatula to lift the shapes up from the bench and onto the tray (so they stay in one piece).
- Bake these on a greased tray, 180-degrees for about 10 mins. Enjoy!
- I use a spatula to lift the shapes up from the bench and onto the tray (so they stay in one piece)
Inspired Health http://inspiredhealth.co.nz/