By Rachel Grunwell
I caught up with the gorgeous We’ar brand founder and designer Jyoti Morningstar recently (this bronze beauty pictured throughout this blog). She’s lean, glowing, has a wide grin that’s full of pearly-whites, and her voice sounds like it could almost float on clouds. She’s such a picture of health and happiness. Oh yeah, she can design a killer sexy dress too, of course! She kindly shared 10 of her personal healthy and happiness tips with Inspired Health readers below!
1. Eat seasonally and organise your meal around what’s in the garden. Choose organic and fresh foods too. In Jyoti’s garden currently artichokes are growing in abundance, she says. So she’s cooking them lots. She recommends cooking them for 10-15-minutes and then drizzling fresh and peppery olive oil on top and adding fresh rock salt and pepper. Add a leafy salad to the meal and perhaps some fresh buffalo mozzarella and a dash of lime juice and voila! “A 15-minute-meal and I’m in heaven”, she says.
2. Eating mostly paleo is working for Jyoti. She’s eating minimal grains and wheat, no sugar “except for the odd hot chocolate”. This gives her an “even energy”, she says. She was sipping a hot chocolate on the day I saw her by the way – nice to see she’s partial too to the odd treat!
3. Do yoga and a simple meditation practice daily. Jyoti commits up to 90-minutes 5-6 days weekly for this. It’s not just about the exercise. She just loves feeling “blissed out”.
4. “Be in nature”, like the beach or bush “and do not have your phone with you”, she says. Have time to “absorb” your beautiful surroundings without constant facebook, instagram, texts, constant technology… “and this can have a powerful effect on the nervous system!”
5. Calm down and make a choice to feel happier.
6. Be inspired. Do things you love like see great art, buy a beautiful magazine that you love, turn on music, whatever makes you happy and smile… “Just do it!”
7. Spend time with people who make you feel good about yourself. “Some people shine the light on the best part of you and reflect that back,” she says. It can be someone who laughs at your jokes or who simply understands you “at that heart level”… Avoid people who make you feel bad – “prune them out!” she adds. Seriously.
8. Make love, have cuddles, kiss and be physical. Snuggle up to animals, spend time with animals and kids too and have fun just playing with them, she says. “Put away your phone and do it! Make the choice to be present.”
9. Have friends over for a simple meal – instead of eating out. Enjoy simple pleasures and just slow down.
10. Assume the best case scenario. “We tend to be too hard on ourselves. Be kind to yourself,” she adds.
Meanwhile, the We’ar eco-luxe brand (for yoga and off-duty pieces, i.e. on the mat and off the mat) has released its 2014 Summer range – ‘Halcyon Rock’. Inspired Health has some of these gorgeous pieces featured on our product page. https://inspiredhealth.co.nz/fashion-product-fix/
I’m told this collection is pitched at the free spirited traveller who is equally at home in the city and wandering bare-foot on beaches or by rivers. It is all about a casual, rock and roll vibe. There’s lace, organic cottons and fine linens & more…
Halcyon Rock is for people who want to express personal style through their unique lifestyles, says Jyoti.
This season’s garments have been chosen for their softness in feel as well as their great eco-footprint. “We’ar wants you to experience how good it feels to live in natural fibres that support a healthy body and beautiful life”.
‘Halcyon Rock’ is made up of three principle colour pairings: Mexican pink with guava, rose gold with midnight blue, and tender green with hemlock (plus these can be matched with dry, sandy taupe or matt black pretty pieces too). There are sexy dresses, loosely fitted tanks, bamboo yoga bras, yoga leggings and pullovers, to name just some pieces in the cool collection.
The ‘Halcyon Rock’ range is available online at http://wearyogaclothing.com and in both Auckland stores (Ponsonby Road and Waiheke). Or if you are in Bali at all, then check out her store there too (I know I’d love to!)