By Rachel Grunwell
These are some of my fave things right now that are fitness, health or happiness inspired:
- The new adidas ultraboostx womens-specific shoes built with ultra-cushioned comfort. These fit just like socks – so they literally hug my feet when I run. They are super light too. Man, they’re so fly! Now, I just wish I could lol…
- Weleda arnica sports shower gel. Free of synthetic preservatives, this is just so delicious on the skin.
- Dr Hauschka products. These are plant-based and so nourishing on my pimple-prone skin (yeah, still getting pimples at my age DARN). I love too that this brand is biodynamic. The makers care about everyone from the crop growers, farmers, about working well with the environment in the best way, to the consumers getting the best quality products. Keep a look out for the new make-up colours oooooh la la.
- Karen Murrell lipstick made from natural ingredients. This stuff feels bliss on the lips and it feels good to use this product because the makers care about how they make it.
- Asics new white hoodie. So stylish, fresh and super light-weight.
- Kelly Gibney’s new cookbook ‘Wholehearted’ – Inspiring Real Food for Every Day. The recipes in here look delicious and unique and I love Kelly’s approach that this food is all about tasting great! I love how it’s not a labelled book on any food trend, but rather guides readers to trust their intuition on taste and how the food makes them FEEL.
Blog penned by Rachel Grunwell: Wellness columnist for Good magazine, yoga teacher, recipe creator, marathoner and blogger at inspiredhealth.co.nz
Win a Weight Watchers membership + 5 top tips for motivation while losing weight!
By Rachel Grunwell
Do you want to kick some kilos? Well, it takes a lot of dedication and motivation to keep going on a weight-loss journey.
I get it. I’ve been there. I put on a lot of weight after I had my first child and it took a lot of strong will, and time, to keep going with my weight-loss journey. I want to share some of the things that helped me keep motivated, but also some things I’ve learnt since I became a wellbeing columnist for two magazines. Then, the cherry-on-top, is one lucky Inspired Health follower can go into the draw to win a 3 month Weight Watchers membership. How AMAZING is that! But first up, here are some tips for keeping motivated. These helped me and I hope they help you too (or please share this piece with someone you know whom it might inspire):
- Think about the end goal and visualise how you will feel when you get there. For me I wanted to lose weight so I could feel happier, fitter, lighter and I dearly wanted to feel good in a pair of jeans. You know, that feeling when your legs don’t swish together anymore. Whenever you feel like reaching for a piece of cake, then remember your goal and why you started on this journey. Visualise again how you will feel when you get to that end goal.
- If you are doing this journey alone then rope in more friends to help you with different parts of your goal. It could be a weekly walk with friends, sharing healthy recipes with another mate, or a gym session with other friends. It will make this journey more fun. And you can help encourage each other.
- Tell your loved ones your goal. They can encourage you to keep accountable.
- Think about a reward when you reach your goal. For me, I promised myself a beautiful pair of new jeans (no expense spared on this because I deserved it and worked sooooo hard for it). Every time I’ve worn those jeans since I smile. And yes, I still have those same jeans and I still love them. That’s the thing about a great quality designer item by the way – it lasts through fashion trends. It’s always a mini celebration when I wear them too. I’ll never forget how hard I worked to shed all that extra weight. I got to the point of wearing some size 16 clothes at the height of my pregnancy and put on close to 30kg (due to weight gain but also pre-eclampsia which cases swelling and some other more series issues if left unchecked). I’m normally a size 8. So yeah, I know what this weight loss journey thing is all about!
- Read other inspiring stories – on Facebook, Instagram or through books even from the library. Weight Watchers has some awesome support too (more details below). The main thing is these stories and other real-life journeys will inspire you to keep going. You can also pick up tips and tricks from other inspirational people.
Do this journey alone if you have incredible will-power. Or if it would help to have a guide and great support, then you could try Weight Watchers like I did. Weight Watchers has recently overhauled their program and it is even better than when I used it. It now focuses on a new way of living, not a diet. It’s more of a holistic approach that incorporates good food, fitness and feeling great – it’s called Your Way. So there are lots of options to choose from to help you on your journey.
Backed by the latest science, too, the Your Way Program encourages members towards healthier eating, including more lean protein and less saturated fat and sugar.
Weight Watchers also makes it easier to work fitness into your life with a new FitPoints™ system and a smartphone app. It’s an approach that’s about eating foods that fuel your health and happiness, while keeping active. The pictured chicken and zucchini noodles here is a great example of a Weight Watchers meal. Yum!
Go into the draw to win a 3 month Weight Watchers membership by finding Inspired Health (https://www.facebook.com/InspiredHealthNZ) / (https://www.instagram.com/inspiredhealthandfitness/) on Facebook or Instagram/or both, locate the promotional Win a Weight Watchers membership + 5 top tips for motivation while losing weight! post on Instagram or Facebook, and leave a comment in the ‘comments’ section of the post specifying ‘Who helps you to be the best you’. You can enter as many times as you would like! The winner will be emailed as well as announced on the Inspired Health Facebook page.
The winner will get access to the online community where members have help with the following:
– Track your food through the WW website and app, which is where you can keep an eye on your SmartPoints™.
– Track your activity and FitPoints™ and find exercise ideas and workout plans to suit everyone.
– Calculate SmartPoints™ for foods.
– Access more than 3000 recipes.
– Track your weight and milestones.
– Be kept up to date with health trends and access motivational articles (e.g. Walk your way to slim).
– Join the WW online Connect community, where you can chat to other members and share your successes.
(Terms and Conditions are at the end of this post)
Rachel Grunwell is a Wellness columnist for Good Magazine and also Juno Investing Magazine. She is also the director of Inspired Health where she blogs and aims to inspire Kiwis to live a life they love. She’s a keen runner and yoga teacher too.
“WIN A WEIGHT WATCHERS MEMBERSHIP – INSPIRED HEALTH” PROMOTION
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
(REVIEWED/REVISED BY ANISIMOFF LEGAL ON 04/04/2016)
- Information on how to enter and the prize form part of these Terms and Conditions. Participation in this promotion is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
- The promoter is Inspired Health, 13 Essex Road, Mt Eden, 1024. Auckland, 0274064984 (“Promoter”). The prize supplier is Weight Watchers New Zealand of Level 4, Westpac Building, 79 Queen Street Auckland City 1010, telephone, (09) 573 5020 (“Weight Watchers”).
- Entry is only open to New Zealand residents aged 18 years or over who: (a) are not an existing Weight Watchers member at the time of entry or winner selection; and (b) have a valid Instagram or Facebook account. Employees (and their immediate families) of the Promoter, Weight Watchers and agencies associated with this promotion are ineligible to enter. Immediate family means any of the following: spouse, ex-spouse, de-facto spouse, child or step-child (whether natural or by adoption), parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister or 1st
- Promotion commences on 04/04/2016 and ends at 11:59pm on 18/04/2016 (“Promotional Period”).
- To enter, individuals must complete one (1) the following methods during the Promotional Period:
- visit the Inspired Health Facebook Page (http://facebook.com/InspiredHealthNZ);
- locate the promotional “Win a Weight Watchers membership + 5 top tips for motivation while losing weight!” post on the Facebook Page (“Promotional Post”); and then
- as a direct comment to the Promotional Post, provide an answer to the promotional question “Who helps you be the best you?” in 25 words or less;
- visit the Inspired Health Instagram Page (@inspiredhealthandfitness);
- locate the promotional “Win a Weight Watchers membership + 5 top tips for motivation while losing weight!” post on the Instagram Page (also a “Promotional Post”); and then
- as a direct comment to the Promotional Post, provide an answer to the promotional question “Who helps you be the best you?” in 25 words or less.
The public profile of the Facebook or Instagram account used to enter must contain sufficient personally identifiable information to adequately identify the entrant. Each entrant warrants to the Promoter that their entry and any other content submitted in their entry is an original creative work of the entrant that does not infringe the rights of any third party. All content must comply with and is subject to the provisions contained in clause 19.
- Incomplete or indecipherable entries will be deemed invalid.
- Multiple entries permitted, subject to the following: (a) each entry must be substantially unique; and (b) each entry must be submitted separately and in accordance with entry requirements.
- The Promoter reserves the right, at any time, to verify the validity of entries and entrants (including an entrant’s identity, age and place of residence) and reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who the Promoter has reason to believe has breached any of these Terms and Conditions, tampered with the entry process or engaged in any unlawful or other improper misconduct calculated to jeopardise fair and proper conduct of the promotion. Errors and omissions may be accepted at the Promoter’s discretion. Failure by the Promoter to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights. The Promoter’s legal rights to recover damages or other compensation from such an offender are reserved.
- If there is a dispute as to the identity of an entrant, the Promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to determine the identity of the entrant.
- This is a game of skill and chance plays no part in determining the winner. Each entry will be individually judged based on the originality and relevance of the answer provided to the promotional question. The judges may select additional reserve entries which they determine to be the next best, and record them in order of merit, in case of an invalid entry or ineligible entrant.
- The winner will be notified by a private message to their social media account they used to enter (i.e. Instagram or Facebook).
- The best valid entry as determined by the judges, will win a Weight Watchers Online Coaching 3 month plan membership, valued at $107.53 NZD.
- The Weight Watchers Online Coaching 3 month plan expires 3 months from date of subscription signup date. See https://signup.weightwatchers.com.au/SignupVersions/Online/StepOne.aspx and https://www.weightwatchers.com/au/ww-subscription-agreement for details.
- If for any reason the winner does not take/redeem the prize by the time stipulated by the Promoter, then the prize will be forfeited.
- If the prize is unavailable, the Promoter, in its discretion, reserves the right to substitute the prize with a prize to the equal value and/or specification.
- Total prize pool value is $107.53 NZD.
- The prize, or any unused portion of the prize, is not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be taken as cash.
- Entrants agree that they are fully responsible for any materials they submit via the promotion including but not limited to answers to the promotional question (“Content”). The Promoter or Weight Watchers shall not be liable in any way for such Content to the full extent permitted by law. The Promoter may remove or decline to publish any Content without notice for any reason whatsoever. Entrants warrant and agree that:
- they will not submit any Content that is unlawful or fraudulent, or that the Promoter may deem in breach of any intellectual property, privacy, publicity or other rights, defamatory, obscene, derogatory, pornographic, sexually inappropriate, violent, abusive, harassing, threatening, objectionable with respect to race, religion, origin or gender, not suitable for children aged under 15, or otherwise unsuitable for publication;
- their Content shall not contain viruses or cause injury or harm to any person or entity;
- they will obtain prior consent from any person or from the owner(s) of any property that appears in their Content;
- the Content is the original literary work of the entrant that does not infringe the rights of any third party;
- they consent to any use of the Content which may otherwise infringe the Content creator’s/creators’ moral rights pursuant to the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth) and warrant that they have the full authority to grant these rights; and
- they will comply with all applicable laws and regulations, including without limitation, those governing copyright, content, defamation, privacy, publicity and the access or use of others’ computer or communication systems.
Without limiting any other terms herein, the entrant agrees to indemnify the Promoter and Weight Watchers for any breach of the above terms.
- As a condition of entering this promotion, each entrant licenses and grants the Promoter and Weight Watchers, their affiliates and sub-licensees a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide, irrevocable, and sub-licensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish and display their entry (which shall include Content) for any purpose, including but not limited to the purposes of uploading and publicly displaying the entries, promoting this promotion, and/or any future promotional, marketing or publicity purposes, in any media, without compensation, restriction on use, attribution or liability. Entrants consent to any use of their entry which may otherwise infringe their moral rights pursuant to the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth).
- Entrants consent to the Promoter and Weight Watchers using their name, likeness, image and/or voice in the event they are a winner (including photograph, film and/or recording of the same) in any media for an unlimited period without remuneration for the purpose of promoting this promotion (including any outcome), and promoting any products manufactured, distributed and/or supplied by the Promoter and/or Weight Watchers.
- If this promotion is interfered with in any way or is not capable of being conducted as reasonably anticipated due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter or Weight Watchers, including but not limited to technical difficulties, unauthorised intervention or fraud, the Promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law: (a) to disqualify any entrant; or (b) to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the promotion, as appropriate.
- Any cost associated with accessing the Internet is the entrant’s responsibility and is dependent on the Internet service provider used.
- Nothing in these Terms and Conditions limits, excludes or modifies or purports to limit, exclude or modify the statutory consumer guarantees as provided under any statutory consumer guarantees as provided under consumer protection laws in New Zealand (“Non-Excludable Guarantees”). Except for any liability that cannot by law be excluded, including the Non-Excludable Guarantees, the Promoter and Weight Watchers (including their respective officers, employees and agents) exclude all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the promotion.
- Except for any liability that cannot by law be excluded, including the Non-Excludable Guarantees, the Promoter and Weight Watchers (including their respective officers, employees and agents) are not responsible for and exclude all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of: (a) any technical difficulties or equipment malfunction (whether or not under the Promoter’s or Weight Watcher’s control); (b) any theft, unauthorised access or third party interference; (c) any entry or prize claim that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected (whether or not after their receipt by the Promoter or Weight Watchers) due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter or Weight Watchers; (d) any variation in prize value to that stated in these Terms and Conditions; (e) any tax liability incurred by a winner or entrant; or (f) taking/use of the prize.
- As a condition of accepting a prize, the winner must sign any legal documentation as and in the form required by the Promoter and/or Weight Watchers in their absolute discretion, including but not limited to a legal release and indemnity form.
- The Promoter collects personal information in order to conduct the promotion and may, for this purpose, disclose such information to third parties, including but not limited to agents, contractors, service providers and Weight Watchers. Entry is conditional on providing this information. The Promoter may, for an indefinite period, unless otherwise advised, use the information for promotional, marketing and publicity purposes, including sending electronic messages or telephoning the entrant. Entrants should direct any request to access, update or correct information to the Promoter. All entries become the property of the Promoter.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook or Instagram. Entrants understand that they are providing their information to the Promoter and not to Facebook or Instagram. The information an entrant provides will only be used for the purposes outlined in these Terms and Conditions. Any questions, comments or complaints about this promotion must be directed to the Promoter and not to Facebook or Instagram. Facebook and Instagram will not be liable for any loss or damage or personal injury which is suffered or sustained by an entrant, as a result of participating in the promotion (including taking/use of a prize), except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
By Rachel Grunwell
I caught up with the gorgeous We’ar brand founder and designer Jyoti Morningstar recently (this bronze beauty pictured throughout this blog). She’s lean, glowing, has a wide grin that’s full of pearly-whites, and her voice sounds like it could almost float on clouds. She’s such a picture of health and happiness. Oh yeah, she can design a killer sexy dress too, of course! She kindly shared 10 of her personal healthy and happiness tips with Inspired Health readers below!
1. Eat seasonally and organise your meal around what’s in the garden. Choose organic and fresh foods too. In Jyoti’s garden currently artichokes are growing in abundance, she says. So she’s cooking them lots. She recommends cooking them for 10-15-minutes and then drizzling fresh and peppery olive oil on top and adding fresh rock salt and pepper. Add a leafy salad to the meal and perhaps some fresh buffalo mozzarella and a dash of lime juice and voila! “A 15-minute-meal and I’m in heaven”, she says.
2. Eating mostly paleo is working for Jyoti. She’s eating minimal grains and wheat, no sugar “except for the odd hot chocolate”. This gives her an “even energy”, she says. She was sipping a hot chocolate on the day I saw her by the way – nice to see she’s partial too to the odd treat!
3. Do yoga and a simple meditation practice daily. Jyoti commits up to 90-minutes 5-6 days weekly for this. It’s not just about the exercise. She just loves feeling “blissed out”.
4. “Be in nature”, like the beach or bush “and do not have your phone with you”, she says. Have time to “absorb” your beautiful surroundings without constant facebook, instagram, texts, constant technology… “and this can have a powerful effect on the nervous system!”
5. Calm down and make a choice to feel happier.
6. Be inspired. Do things you love like see great art, buy a beautiful magazine that you love, turn on music, whatever makes you happy and smile… “Just do it!”
7. Spend time with people who make you feel good about yourself. “Some people shine the light on the best part of you and reflect that back,” she says. It can be someone who laughs at your jokes or who simply understands you “at that heart level”… Avoid people who make you feel bad – “prune them out!” she adds. Seriously.
8. Make love, have cuddles, kiss and be physical. Snuggle up to animals, spend time with animals and kids too and have fun just playing with them, she says. “Put away your phone and do it! Make the choice to be present.”
9. Have friends over for a simple meal – instead of eating out. Enjoy simple pleasures and just slow down.
10. Assume the best case scenario. “We tend to be too hard on ourselves. Be kind to yourself,” she adds.
Meanwhile, the We’ar eco-luxe brand (for yoga and off-duty pieces, i.e. on the mat and off the mat) has released its 2014 Summer range – ‘Halcyon Rock’. Inspired Health has some of these gorgeous pieces featured on our product page. https://inspiredhealth.co.nz/fashion-product-fix/
I’m told this collection is pitched at the free spirited traveller who is equally at home in the city and wandering bare-foot on beaches or by rivers. It is all about a casual, rock and roll vibe. There’s lace, organic cottons and fine linens & more…
Halcyon Rock is for people who want to express personal style through their unique lifestyles, says Jyoti.
This season’s garments have been chosen for their softness in feel as well as their great eco-footprint. “We’ar wants you to experience how good it feels to live in natural fibres that support a healthy body and beautiful life”.
‘Halcyon Rock’ is made up of three principle colour pairings: Mexican pink with guava, rose gold with midnight blue, and tender green with hemlock (plus these can be matched with dry, sandy taupe or matt black pretty pieces too). There are sexy dresses, loosely fitted tanks, bamboo yoga bras, yoga leggings and pullovers, to name just some pieces in the cool collection.
The ‘Halcyon Rock’ range is available online at http://wearyogaclothing.com and in both Auckland stores (Ponsonby Road and Waiheke). Or if you are in Bali at all, then check out her store there too (I know I’d love to!)